Tuesday, April 27, 2010

art of yuppies


I became a Young Urban Professional today. We listened to the Talking Heads and drank Ginger Brew that kicked me in the face with every sip. "Is this going to help our health or destroy it?" I wondered out loud yuppyishly.

What is it that is so appealing about ginger? I also wondered, but secretly. I know people who are in love with it. Not so with me. Every time I encounter it, I instantly become suspicious and defensive. It's a reflex.

Now I've had the root itself--plain. And candied ginger, ginger powder in chicken, etc.. Once, some Chinese friends gave me a warm ginger tea which was hard to wrap my heart around, but it worked well to warm me up, which was the point. But I think part of that was the energy and heat generated by my body to process the ginger as I determinedly drank it.

In Ginger Brew's defense, I also have had it in a lemon sherbet number . It ironically cured my upset stomach in an obviously medicinal way that doesn't usually correlate with desserts. But I was grateful, nonetheless.

"I kind of like how it burns your throat," L said reflectively. (Which, by the way, is the very thing that scares me.)

My favorite spice is garlic, which may not even be classified as a spice, but also goes well with chicken, and buttery things, and unlike ginger, will rarely burn throats. Except once, when the lid of the garlic container came off in the casserole before I baked it, successfully dumping in one third of the jar. I believe garlic is now my sister's most loathed spice. But I say: to each his own.

2 comments:

  1. I actually believe that 1/3 of the jar is a bit, shall we say, idealistic! I love garlic and couldnt stand to be in the same room as the pan of, shall I say it, FISH, there I have said it and I am not proud but it was capable of flight or swimming or doing whatever else it wanted to do it was so lively with garlic. And yes your baby sister is traumatized for life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes garlic is my most loathed spice, if you can actually call it a spice. :p It is so gross. i honestly don't know how people can stand it. and i thought it was the whole jar.

    ReplyDelete


what this be?

If art imitates life, then life experience should be art...so show me, tell me, teach me, happen to me--I'm wide-eyed and wondering, and waiting to pick up a few tricks...

done


them readin' this